Thanks for stopping by.
Some Kind of Delicious is a place for people who love food, just as much as I do. Here I'll share my all-time favorite recipes as well as NEW delicious recipes I find as I go along.You'll also find some delicious products and free printable products. If you have a recipe or product you'd like me to review or feature, drop me a note. I'm always listening. Enjoy!

June 28, 2010

Patriotic Flag Cake

Ok, I'm a little disappointed in this one. The idea is AWESOME! But I learned a few things that I'd definitely do differently next time (if that time really ever comes). I got this idea from a local TV show. Click  here for a video demonstration. However, THEY got the idea from one of my new favorite sites. It's done by a 17-year-old girl and she is TALENTED! Be sure to check out her site too.

But if you go to those sites, please don't come back to mine and laugh. This was definitely a first for me. But like I said, the idea is just so intriguing. I really think you should try it! And let me know how it goes.



THINGS I'D DO DIFFERENTLY "NEXT" TIME:

-I'd use a homemade cake recipe, instead of a cake-mix. The cake mix was too crumbly. And the layers split a little bit, making it a little less than presentable. I think the homemade variety would be a more dense cake and hold together better.

-I'd use paste food coloring instead of liquid. You'd be able to get a darker color, instead of the "patriotic pastels" I came up with.

-Cut the cake layer while laying it flat on the counter. Or invest in a cake-leveler. Otherwise, you'll end up with a lop-sided cake that looks like it belongs in Alice in Wonderland.

-My talented cousin, had an idea for decorating the cake. She suggested using star shaped cookie cutters. Put some food coloring onto a plate. Dip the cutters into the food coloring and gently place on top of cake to leave a color star. You can make a beautiful pattern of colored stars all over the cake. 

-And finally, next time, I'd definitely make my husband clean up the kitchen, afterward. JUST KIDDING. But seriously, look at the mess I made.




ASSEMBLY DIRECTIONS:
1. Bake 3 cake layers, in 9-inch cake pans. So you'll need 2 recipes of cake (or 2 boxes, if you decide to cheat, like I did). Color one layer red, one blue, and leave one white. You'll have one extra layer. I decided to bake an extra white layer, which I was glad, because I messed up the first one!

2. Let the layers cool and then put in the freezer for a couple hours. It will make it MUCH easier to work with.

3. While they're in the freezer, it would be a good time to prepare the icing. This is my favorite icing recipe. I did one and a half of this recipe.

My Favorite Buttercream Frosting Recipe:
3 ¾ c. powdered sugar
¼ tsp. salt
¼ c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. butter

Combine all ingredients in mixing bow. Beat with electric mixer or with heavy spoon until smooth and creamy; scrape bowl often. If too stiff to spread easily, beat in a few drops of milk.

4.  Slice the white and red layers in half, so now, in theory you have 2 layers of each.

5. Lay the white layer on your cake plate and frost the top of it. Lay a red layer on top of the white and frost the top of it.

6. Next find a bowl about 5" in diameter and cut the center out of the blue layer. Reserve the outter ring and lay it on top of the red layer. Frost the inside circle of the blue ring.

7. Now, use the same small bowl to remove the centers of the remaining white and red layers. Place the small, white circle INSIDE the blue ring and frost the top. 

8. Put the small red circle on top of the white, inside the blue ring. You'll need to work with it to make it level with the blue ring. 

9. Frost entire cake.

Pin It!

No comments: