Thanks for stopping by.
Some Kind of Delicious is a place for people who love food, just as much as I do. Here I'll share my all-time favorite recipes as well as NEW delicious recipes I find as I go along.You'll also find some delicious products and free printable products. If you have a recipe or product you'd like me to review or feature, drop me a note. I'm always listening. Enjoy!

May 11, 2011

Cutest Train Cake & Best Decorating Frosting

'Tis the season for birthdays in our house. This month is mine and my husband's birthdays. However, this is a cake I did for my favorite little boy's birthday a few months back, and I've been wanting to share this cake idea with you. This was for my son's 2nd birthday. The theme was that our little guy was turning "TWO-TWO," with trains of course.

 
I went to a cake decorating class a few weeks before his birthday. My talented friend who taught the class told me that you can go to a bakery and buy their frosting to decorate with!!! Genius. I actually recommend doing that. But, I've included the recipe I use below, in case you don't go to the bakery or you run out (which happened to me!).



For the train cake, I got a box of graham cracker stix and placed them around the edge for the railroad ties. Then I did two small lines of brown frosting on top, for the tracks. And I used a mini toy train on top of that. So very simple! And absolutely adorable if I do say so myself.

Enjoy!


FROSTINGS

{BUTTERCREAM} - this is the kind you frost the cake with, not decorate! This just tastes better than the decorative kind, but it's not thick enough to do fancy stuff with.

3 ¾ c. powdered sugar
¼ tsp. salt
¼ c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. butter

Combine all ingredients in mixing bow. Beat with electric mixer or with heavy spoon until smooth and creamy; scrape bowl often. If too stiff to spread easily, beat in a few drops of milk.
{DECORATIVE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING}
1/2 c. solid vegetable shortening
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract (clear would be best)
4 c. sifted powdered sugar (about 1 lb.)
2 T. milk

Makes about 3 cups of icing.

Instructions:

MEDIUM CONSISTENCY
In a large bowl, cream shortening and butter with hand mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.

For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored for 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.

THIN CONSISTENCY - for spreading
Add 2 T. light corn syrup, water or milk

STIFF CONSISTENCY
omit butter; substitute an addtional 1/2 c. shortening for butter and add 1/2 tsp, no-color butter flavor. Add up to 4 T. light corn syrup, water or milk to thin for icing cakes.


Source: Wilton

Pin It!

2 comments:

Amy@happylittleparty.blogspot.com said...

That is so cute Aly!! I'll have to remember this when we have another train party :)
Where did you take your cake class?

Pradhan mantri yojana said...

Very interesting blog.
কেক বানানোর রেসিপি
অ্যাভোকাডো