Thanks for stopping by.
Some Kind of Delicious is a place for people who love food, just as much as I do. Here I'll share my all-time favorite recipes as well as NEW delicious recipes I find as I go along.You'll also find some delicious products and free printable products. If you have a recipe or product you'd like me to review or feature, drop me a note. I'm always listening. Enjoy!

May 18, 2011

Chocolate Fudge Trifle



I love Aly for many reasons, the first of course is because how happy she makes my brother, but a close second is because we have so much in common - including a love of delicious food. Since I have always been more of a food blog “stalker” rather than contributor, I was excited when Aly asked me to throw in my thoughts on food…lets just say I have a lot to say on that subject.  

I will throw it out there now as my first cyber confessional that I have a love for sweets. People talk about a sweet tooth, but in my case I think I have more sweet teeth. When I was first dating my husband one night after a movie he asked what I wanted to do and I said, “go for ice cream”. His response shocked me, “in the middle of winter?” Now I ask you, since when did a season decide if you could have certain desserts of not? Seriously? 

Marriage is all about learning new things and I learned from my husband, not everyone melts over molten lava cakes or gets giddy when they are served the corner piece of cake with extra frosting. He can actually pass on desserts; good ones we aren’t talking about cheap tootsie roll pops here. Now I wish I could say it was because he is the worlds healthiest eater, believe me he has his Achilles heels too, but sweets aren’t one. After one or two bites he puts his dessert in the fridge and then totally forgets about it (shhh don’t tell him that I have a rule that after 24 hours and he hasn’t touched it then its free game). That is why I was shocked when I made this sinfully good trifle and he actually ate his entire bowl.


Then, to add to the shock factor the next day he asked for more, no 24-hour rules need apply here. Yes, we just celebrated 7 great years of marriage and have both learned about compromise – he drives me (and my now three kids yes, I passed my over sweet DNA onto them) to get our ice cream fixes and if it is warm gets one himself. Or, we can all go home and have this anytime of year. Trust me, unless you don’t love chocolate, (and lets be honest do those people really exist?) you’ll love it.

{CHOCOLATE FUDGE TRIFLE}
1 Angel Food Cake (store bought or follow directions on mix and cool completely)
2 pkgs.cream cheese, at room temp.
2 Lg.boxes chocolate fudge pudding
5 c. milk (sorry no skim here, at least 2%)
1 pint whipped cream (or 2 cartons of Cool Whip)
1/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. chocolate chips
1 good quality chocolate bar (shaved into strips with potato peeler or chopped in small pieces)

In large bowl combine the milk with the pudding. Whisk for 2 minutes and then put in fridge for 5 minutes. Then add softened cream cheese to the pudding with either wire whisk or with with hand mixer and combine (it will be lumpy).

Pour one pint whipping cream in another bowl and whip. Add sugar and vanilla and mix again (if using cool whip no sugar or vanilla needed).

Break your cake in to golf ball sized pieces. Take half of those pieces and place them in a large glass dish. Pour half of your pudding/cream cheese mixture on top and then half of your cream on top of that. Then add the 3/4 c. chocolate chips on top. 

Repeat layers; cake then pudding then cream. Top with chocolate shavings or crumbs. 

Best to sit in fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.

Enjoy!
Pin It!

No comments: