Thanks for stopping by.
Some Kind of Delicious is a place for people who love food, just as much as I do. Here I'll share my all-time favorite recipes as well as NEW delicious recipes I find as I go along.You'll also find some delicious products and free printable products. If you have a recipe or product you'd like me to review or feature, drop me a note. I'm always listening. Enjoy!

September 9, 2011

Most Delicious Potstickers

 


I know I've talked about my friend MaryAnn before {be sure to check out her food blog too!}. But this girl is an amazing cook and an even more amazing person. I look up to her in many ways. I went to a cooking demo where she taught us how to make these and I've been so excited to try them for myself! By the way, this post is straight from her blog (I did manage to at least take my own pictures).
They were fabulous! We got so sick "overdosing" on these puppies. We just couldn't stop eating them. I served these and edamame for dinner and it was a hit! 

Except next time, I think I'll just make half because we literally were unbuttoning our top pant button because we gorged ourselves. Or like MaryAnn says in her tips below, freeze half!

Thank you MaryAnn!

Enjoy!

{POTSTICKERS}
1 lb ground pork
1/2-3/4 package coleslaw mix 
1 package won ton wrappers (in the produce section of all grocery stores)
1 tsp. salt 
3-4 green onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced 
1/8 tsp. ginger, grated

Mix ground pork with about half of the package of coleslaw mix, salt, onions, garlic and ginger. Place about a Tablespoon of the meat mixture on a won ton wrapper.


Put some water in a bowl and with either your finger or a pastry brush, wet all four sides of the wrapper.  Then fold 2 corners together, pressing them together.

 Then bring up the other 2 corners, sealing it all together.
Using a NONSTICK skillet, place a little bit of oil in the pan, then place each pot stickers in the pan. You'll have to do the potstickers in batches.
Saute over med/med-hi heat until the bottoms are a golden brown.
This is the tricky part.  At this point you need to add some water to the pan.  You need enough that it will last for the whole steaming process, but not too much.  Star with about a 1/2 cup.  As soon as you pour the water in, cover immediately.  Steam with cover on for 5-7 minutes, until pork is completely cooked through.
Remove cover and serve with soy sauce for dipping.

Helpful Hints from MaryAnn:
*If you run out of water during the steaming process before they are done, add a little more and continue to steam
* You can add any other ingredients or seasoning that you want. You can also try using different ground meats, like chicken. (I have only used pork, but I bet others would work fine)
* We like to dip these in soy sauce that has a little bit of red wine vinegar drizzled into it
*You can freeze these.  After you have them assembled, freeze them in a single layer, after they are frozen, you can put them in a ziplock.  Then take them out and cook them from the frozen state, don't thaw first.  You will just need to increase your cooking time, and probably use more water.
* To make egg rolls instead of pot stickers, buy the egg roll wrappers (or you can make mini egg rolls with these wrappers).  Add the whole package of coleslaw mix instead of just half.  You can also add things like rice noodles, and bean sprouts.  Wrap them up egg roll style, starting with a corner, then tucking in the side corners (kinda like rolling up a burrito). Fry them in about 1/2 inch of oil, turning over once.
*These are fun to make for a group when you have everyone help you assemble them.

Pin It!

No comments: