Thanks for stopping by.
Some Kind of Delicious is a place for people who love food, just as much as I do. Here I'll share my all-time favorite recipes as well as NEW delicious recipes I find as I go along.You'll also find some delicious products and free printable products. If you have a recipe or product you'd like me to review or feature, drop me a note. I'm always listening. Enjoy!

July 5, 2011

Southwest Stuffed Bell Peppers


I'm sure many of you foodies, already know about this awesome food blog. But I just started looking at it a few months ago and I'm loving their recipes. Thanks ladies! You're doing an awesome job.

This is one that I knew I had to make. My husband lived in Bulgaria and this is one thing he LOVED to eat while he was there. I hadn't ever eaten stuffed peppers, let alone MAKE them. So I was happy to find a "foodie approved" recipe. It was a hit! 

This dish was true to it's claim, of being "stuffed." We were stuffed. Well, let me correct myself. I was stuffed. I think my husband happily finished mine. But it was a meal that didn't leave you feeling over-stuffed and yucky. It's healthy! And it's quite colorful too! I like when my meals have a variety of color to them. It makes me happy. Weird, maybe. But that's ok. Enjoy!


{SOUTHWEST STUFFED PEPPERS}
4 very large or 6 medium sweet peppers (red, yellow, or orange)
1 T. salt
1/2 c. white rice
2 T. olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 – 1 jalapeno, minced (or you could substitute a small 3-oz. can of mild green chilies)
1 (14-oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 c. frozen corn kernels
2 green onions, sliced
1/2-1 tsp. chipotle chili powder (you can start with 1/2 and add more to taste)
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 black pepper
1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, preferably fire roasted
1 1/4 c. jack or pepperjack cheese, divided
3-4 T. chopped fresh cilantro
Tortilla chips, crushed

Preheat oven to 350.  Prepare peppers by washing, slicing tops off, and removing insides.  Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon salt.   Boil whole peppers for about 3-4 minutes, until they begin to soften.  Remove from water with tongs and place on paper towels to drain.

Add rice to boiling water and cook until tender, about 13 minutes (I thought this sounded so strange!!! It goes against all your natural rice-cooking tendencies. But it works, trust me).  Drain thoroughly.

Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.  Add onions, garlic, and jalapeno (or chilies) and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add corn, beans, green onions, chipotle chili powder, kosher salt, and pepper. Stir until corn and beans are heated through, about 5 minutes.  Place peppers in a baking dish.  Remove skillet from heat and add rice, tomatoes, 1 cup cheese, and cilantro.  Stir to combine well and give it a taste.  Add additional salt, pepper, and chipotle powder to your liking.  

Place peppers in a baking dish with openings at the top. {Make sure the peppers stand upright on their own. You can place them next to each other to prop each other up. Or slice a tiny bit off the bottoms to make them sit evenly.} Evenly divide mixture between peppers. Top peppers with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and crushed tortilla chips.
Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
Pin It!

No comments: