Thanks for stopping by.
Some Kind of Delicious is a place for people who love food, just as much as I do. Here I'll share my all-time favorite recipes as well as NEW delicious recipes I find as I go along.You'll also find some delicious products and free printable products. If you have a recipe or product you'd like me to review or feature, drop me a note. I'm always listening. Enjoy!

June 24, 2011

Cafe Rio Copy-Cat Pork or Chicken Salad


I love Cafe Rio. If you haven't had the chance to eat there, you should try it {if you can find one close to you!}. And if you are on a strict budget and feeling creative, here's the best recipe for their pork or chicken salad. I know there are many variations out there, but this is the best one I've tried so far.

This is also a great idea if you're serving a large group. You can just serve it like a buffet and everyone can build their own salad {or burrito} We made it for our family reunion a couple years ago and it was a big hit! But, let's be honest any food with that side of my family usually is a big hit. I think that's where I inherited my love of food. I also inherited my schnoz from that side. Yep, thanks a lot guys. 

Now, if only I could find the perfect copy-cat recipe for Cafe Rio's queso and tortilla soup. Although, I think my tortilla soup is pretty darn delicious!

Enjoy!

CAFE RIO COPY-CAT PORK OR CHICKEN SALAD

{Café Rio Pork}
3-4 lbs. pork roast (not a fatty one)
2 c. salsa
2 c. brown sugar
1 c. coca cola

Cook pork in a slow cooker on high for 5 hours with water covering halfway. Drain water after 5 hours.  Shred pork with a fork.  Add the rest of the ingredients and cook 4-5 more hours.  Shred again if not completely shredded.

{Café Rio Chicken}
1 small bottle Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing
1 T. chili powder
1 T. cumin
3 cloves minced garlic
5 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts

Roast all ingredients in a crock pot on low for 4 hours.  Shred chicken, roast an additional hour.
 
{Café Rio Cilantro Dressing}
1 c. mayonnaise
¾ - 1 c. buttermilk
3 tomatillos
1/3 c. cilantro
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 pkg. ranch dressing (buttermilk recipe)

Put in blender and puree.  Refrigerate 4 hours before serving.


{Café Rio Rice}
3 c. water
4 tsp. chicken bouillon
4 tsp. minced garlic
½ bunch chopped cilantro
1 tsp. cumin
1 can diced green chiles
¾ tsp. salt
1 tsp. butter
½ medium onion, chopped
3 c. uncooked rice

Bring water to a boil, add all ingredients.  Cook on low for 30 minutes.

{HOW TO ASSEMBLE}
Layer your plate with the following:
Warm tortilla {we love the uncooked ones from Costco}
Romaine lettuce
Black or pinto beans {can't you just hear them asking you that at the restaurant?}
Cafe Rio Rice*
Cafe Rio Pork or Chicken*
Shredded cheese of your choice
Crushed tortilla chips
Cafe Rio Cilantro Dressing*
Guacamole
Pico de Gallo or Salsa

Pin It!

No comments: