Thanks for stopping by.
Some Kind of Delicious is a place for people who love food, just as much as I do. Here I'll share my all-time favorite recipes as well as NEW delicious recipes I find as I go along.You'll also find some delicious products and free printable products. If you have a recipe or product you'd like me to review or feature, drop me a note. I'm always listening. Enjoy!

December 1, 2010

Delicious Clam Chow-dah


This is another dish I "claimed" I used to not like. But that's when I was eating it out of a can. Shame. Shame. 

I changed my mind on my first trip to Boston a few years back. Wow! Once you have "chow-dah" in Boston, forget it! It's so delicious. In fact, my husband went on a business trip there just a month ago. I kept telling him, "Honey, if you do nothing else PLEASE promise me you'll get a bowl of clam chowder." 

He didn't.

But that's ok! He was busy. So I came up with this dish instead. I combined a few of my favorite recipes to come up with the Ultimate Clam Chowder recipe

BUT WAIT!!! If you claim you don't like seafood or clam chowder, this recipe is wonderful because you can bump up the clams or you can minimize or even ELIMINATE the clams and it's still a delicious chowder. I'm not lying. It's the truth. Enjoy!

{DELICIOUS CLAM CHOWER}
2 c. carrots, diced
2 c. onion, chopped
3/4 c. green pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 c. potatoes, cubed
1 bay leaf
2 cans clam juice (reserve the clams!)
Water
1 c. tomatoes, chopped
4 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
3/4 c. butter
3/4 c. flour
1 qt. Half & Half
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 tsp. Pepper
2 tsp. Basil
Splash Red Wine Vinegar

Put carrots, onion, green pepper, garlic, potatoes and bay leaf in large stock pot. Saute over medium high heat for about 5 minutes until they start to soften and sweat. Pour clam juice over veggies and allow to simmer 1 minute. Add tomatoes and enough water to barely cover all. Simmer over medium heat for about 20 minutes until all the veggies are cooked through. 

Meanwhile in a separate saucepan, melt butter; add flour blending until smooth. Slowly add half & half, constantly whisking until the mixture becomes thick and smooth (you can use milk for a lower calorie soup). Add basil, salt and pepper. Add cream mixture to soup and mix together. Add bacon and vinegar. Heat through and serve with warm bread.

Pin It!

No comments: