Thanks for stopping by.
Some Kind of Delicious is a place for people who love food, just as much as I do. Here I'll share my all-time favorite recipes as well as NEW delicious recipes I find as I go along.You'll also find some delicious products and free printable products. If you have a recipe or product you'd like me to review or feature, drop me a note. I'm always listening. Enjoy!

August 19, 2013

$15 Fireplace Mantel Makeover

I love our house. I love the character. I love that it isn't a cookie cutter home. I love having more space. I feel very thankful. But there are a few things that I've wanted to update and I've had a lot of fun doing so!

Here's my latest. The fireplace mantel. This is in our main family room. Where we spend a good chunk of our time. The mantel was a oak wood, which didn't match ANYTHING in our home. I'm sure it did back in the day before the previous owners updated the home. So I was excited to bring the mantel into the new age.

It was easy too! I used a liquid sand paper for the first round. And then I sanded with our new little mouse sander (one of the best purchases we've ever made!). Then I primed the wood with a plain white primer. Then then did two coats of paint--the same color as the trim. It is a satin sheen. So we'll see how that works through the winter. I didn't use a heat resistant or high gloss sheen.

Then I took off a decorative part on the top of the glass. And painted over the brass pieces with a black heat resistant spray paint.

Voila! The best part is, I only spent about $15!! I already had the primer and paint. So I only paid for the liquid sandpaper, painters tape, and a can of black heat resistant spray paint.

Some day I'd like to replace the tiles or over try to tile over them! Eek. We'll see.

What do you think?


Pin It!

No comments: